Thursday, March 3, 2016

5 & 7 year check ups

It was a bit traumatic but we survived the 5 & 7 year old checkups!  To help avoid the disaster that were kindergarten shots with Gavin (see post here)  I’d been prepping Wyatt and talking about how brave he was going to be and that he could earn some Pokemon cards for being super brave.  It was working and although he was nervous he kept asking over and over when his doctor’s appointment was.  We get to the appointment and all is going well so far.  They get their weight, height and eyes checked and then it comes time for the finger prick which Gavin had been telling Wyatt hurts way more than the shots.  Not sure this was the best approach but I think at the time he was just trying to help minimize the scariness of the 4 shots he had to get.  So Gavin did amazing last year with his finger prick and didn’t even cry so the nurse and I thought we would let him go first and show Wyatt how it goes.  Well in hindsight that was not a good idea.  Gavin started screaming with his fingerprick and hard core crying which of course really freaked Wyatt out and he immediately started bawling too.  That boy lol.  So Wyatt unwillingly got his finger pricked and cried/screamed through the whole thing. 


I took this picture after the finger pricks.  Their faces say it all.  Thankfully the rest of the visit wasn’t too eventful.  Wyatt was super nervous for his shots and wouldn’t leave my lap until it was time.  He didn’t enjoy them and cried but he was calm and laid on the bench I didn’t have to full body restrain him like I did Gavin.  Afterwards we got ice cream and Pokemon cards so it turned out fine but they still went on and on about how much that finger prick hurt for the rest of the day but by the end of the week it was no big deal J. 

I got called to pick up Lincoln from daycare the next day because he was complaining about his ear and really upset.  He had been battling a yucky cold so I took him in to see the doctor and he kept asking where his shot was and was not happy that he didn’t get one.  Of course he would be the kid that would request a shot lol but settled for some cookies and thankfully no ear infection just a virus.

Here are the boys stats.  Some growing boys!
Gavin: Height – 50 inches (79%), Weight – 54 lbs, 13 ozs (64%)

Wyatt: Height – 44 inches (69%), Weight – 40 lbs, 3ozs (44%)

No comments: