Monday, January 9, 2012

Potty Training



Look who's wearing big boy underware!!  We just finished the 3 day potty training and overall it went really well.  I'm so proud of Gavin but man and I exhausted!!  I don't think I've ever been so glad to go back to work as I will be tomorrow :).  Gavin’s been pretty attached to his diapers lately so we weren’t quite sure how this was going to go but figured if we didn’t do it I don’t think he was going to make the jump himself anytime soon.  I bought a bunch of underware for him awhile ago and we’ve been talking about how cool his big boy dinosaur underware was and told him Friday night that when he woke up on Saturday he would get to wear his new underware.  Saturday morning he woke up and we said guess what you get to do today and he said wear big boy underware and was really excited so we threw all his diapers away (hid most to be used for Wyatt) and were off to a good start i.e. no battle about not getting to wear a diaper J.  The beginning was a little rough.  It took him awhile to figure out to tell us when he had to go potty beforehand so the first few times were him starting to go in his underware and them rushing him to the potty so that he could finish there and get praise.  We did try the big potty first as I was hoping to just go straight to that but he is honestly terrified of it so we decided to deal with that battle later after he’s got the hang of going potty first.  Overall day one we went through 7 pairs of underware but he remained in a pretty good mood.  He only requested to be put back in diapers a few times but we were able to quickly change the subject and move on J.  Very exhausting on my part though since you really can’t leave their side for more than a minute.  Day 2 we only went through 2 pairs of underwear and day 3 started off really well so I think I relaxed a little bit and started multi-tasking so I think he decided to test me and we had a couple of accidents but after that I stayed on top of him and he did really well.  Overall I’m so proud of what he’s done and know that we still have a long ways to go before he will be able to do everything on his own but definitely are headed in the right direction.  Hopefully the rest of this week will go well and he will adjust to his new underware well at school.  Friday is his big birthday so lots to get done before then!

No comments: