Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gavin - growing up so fast!


It’s amazing how much Gavin has grown up in the last few weeks. He just amazes me every day and makes me realize that he’s not a little boy anymore. One example is bedtime. The normal routine is that I go in there and tell a story or two and then it’s daddy’s time and he’s kind of a push over so he usually gets 3-4 short stories from him plus some back rubs which can equal a pretty long bedtime routine. Well the other day he got in trouble and was told no stories for bedtime. He of course cried and after a minute I went in there and we had a quick chat and I told him he needed to go to sleep. Shockingly after I left all was quiet and he put himself to sleep. The next day he was really proud of himself and told me that he went to sleep with no more crying after I left. When it came time for bedtime that night he told us he wanted to go to bed all by himself like a big boy and without any stories he walked in his room shut the door and went to bed. I was shocked! Now this hasn’t happened every night but a couple of nights since then which just shows how much he is growing up and wanting to make decisions on his own.


The other example is with drop offs at school. It has definitely gotten much better and quicker but every day I walk in to his room with him, help him hang up his coat and then we go over to the table for breakfast. Depending on the type of mood he’s in he either tells me to go right away or wants me to linger for a few minutes until he’s ready and he’s always wanted/needed us to walk him in. Well the other day when we were driving home from school out of nowhere he asked me why he can’t just tell me bye at the door and hang up his coat all by himself like all his friends (very interesting that’s he’s been paying attention to how the other kids get dropped off and wants to do the same). So I told him we could try that the next day and I could just give him a kiss at the door and he said ‘no they don’t give kisses!’ so I settled for at least a hug and he complied. So I was curious how the next day’s drop off would go and sure enough he wanted to say bye right at the door. I couldn’t believe it especially since his normal teacher wasn’t there which can sometimes make him a little uneasy. I lingered/peeked through the window to watch him to make sure he didn’t have a last minute change of heart but sure enough he took his coat off and walked over to the table all by himself! It makes me a little sad to think he doesn’t need me as much anymore but I love seeing him also be so independent and proud of what he can accomplish on his own and if he keeps this up it sure will be nice on those day’s that we’re in a rush and I don’t have tons of time to linger by his side :).

The other super cute thing that I love lately is when we are dropping off at school we always take Wyatt first and have to walk down this long hallway to get to his room. Wyatt always wants to do everything just like Gavin so he wants to walk instead of being carried but can be kind of slow sometimes and just linger. The other day Gavin asked Wyatt if he wanted to hold hands and walk together and they were so cute. Wyatt was loving it and giggling the whole time which made Gavin giggle and so now they walk hand in hand everyday down to Wyatt’s classroom. It is seriously the cutest thing ever and so fun to see those moments of bonding.


No comments: