Friday, September 7, 2012

First trip to the Dentist



Gavin had his first trip to the dentist on Thursday and this was the only picture I managed to get :). In preparation we’ve been reading a book about Dora visiting the dentist and he was really excited until the day of and then he didn’t want to go so I was a little worried about how the trip would go. I was envisioning that the dentist office would be a lot like our pediatricians office with lots of bright colors and toys to keep the little ones occupied but didn’t realize that half of the office was an adult dentist and the other half the children’s side so the waiting room was really boring with very few toys which had me nervous. Luckily I was able to keep him busy with some iphone apps. It seemed like we waited forever because there was a mix up with the receptionist and the assistant that brought us back wasn’t super outgoing so that didn’t help with Gavin’s reluctance to go. The first thing we did was watch a quick video about a dinosaur that visits the dentist which was a hit but then he just wanted to watch more movies and was being very clingy/shy. Luckily the dentist was amazing! She came in and at first he was ignoring her and wouldn’t answer any of her questions, just being really shy but she totally got him to open up. He was engrossed in learning about taking care of his teeth, eating healthy snacks and limiting juice and fruit snacks. He got a new transformers toothbrush which was a hit and he let her brush, floss and count all his teeth. Then at the end he got to get a toy out of the machine. Overall the trip was a success and his teeth looked great. To celebrate we got a happy meal from McDonalds with a power ranger toy (another big hit!).


A couple of funny sayings from Gavin about the trip: On our way to the dentist we drove down this road that had lots of hills and I’m not sure if that is why he said this or if it was because he was nervous because I totally was but he said “Mom I have butterflies in my peepee”. For some reason he always say peepee but means stomach lol. Still trying to figure that whole feeling out haha. The other funny thing is that after the visit when we were heading to the car he asked me why he never got a fossil and I couldn’t figure out what he meant and he said why didn’t I get a fossil like Dora and then I realized he was talking about the x-ray of her tooth from the book.

No comments: